Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Own Rotisserie Chicken Salad



I am finally feeling like my old self again.  I have just arrived at 15 weeks and am amazed at the abundance of energy that has suddenly returned.  I have not taken a lunch-break nap in over a week!  The nausea occasionally creeps in at night but it's only when I stuff my face at supper.  I am enjoying eating everything so unfortunately over-consumption is a nightly occurance.  I really need to exercise some self-control...

During the first trimester, Mama had to take over the blog as cooking and reading recipes literally made me gag.  At one point, I felt guilty that we were eating out every night and decided I would try to prepare an Asian dish.  My throat is tightening as I type.  I cannot speak any more of it but will admit that I am not sure I'll be able to eat Chinese or anything Asian for that matter for a very long time!  And it was weeks of take-out until I was able to move past it.

This week I had my first craving for chicken salad and weirdly enough, I wanted my own chicken salad.  I thought that was too strange how I was craving one of the few recipes I actually "created" on my own.  Nothing would do on Tuesday evening except go to Publix and buy groceries for "Marie's Rotisserie Chicken Salad."  I stayed up late making it and enjoyed the best late-night snack I've had in a while.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Marie's Rotisserie Chicken Salad
  • 2 lb Rotisserie chicken, original or savory flavor
  • 1 cup red grapes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 1/2 cup + 1-2 heaping Tbsp mayonnaise*
Remove skin from chicken and pull all meat from bone (I use both white and dark meat.).  Use food processor to chop chicken to a fine consistency.  Transfer to a large bowl.  Add remaining ingredients and combine.  (Add more mayonnaise if you prefer a moister salad.)  Serve on sweet Hawaiian rolls or use Wheat Thins for dipping.  Serves approx 8.
*I often use reduced-fat mayonnaise to make the salad a little lighter.  Also, if you're from the South, you know Duke's mayo is the best :)

Enjoy!
     
      Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..