Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Momaw's Chicken Noodle Casserole



Here's a recipe that was handed down to me by B's Momaw. I love Momaw so much and she's a wonderful cook. B and I love going to visit in Anderson, SC. Not only do we get to spend time making precious memories with his family but we have the opportunity to eat all of Momaw's delicious "goodies" she prepares for us. We usually begin with her pound cake for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch, and cheesecake cupcakes and rice krispie treats for dessert. And when B puts in his requests, she'll serve squash casserole, broccoli casserole, and sweet potato souffle` (He's just a little spoiled!). Everything is so wonderful that I eat all weekend and just run an extra lap or two the following week!

This is the recipe for Momaw's chicken noodle casserole. I can remember one of the first times I went to Thomaston to visit and Mrs. Kathy cooked this dish. I instantly fell in love (I had a double dose--I was falling for someone else, too!); it was so comforting and hearty. I got Momaw's permission to share her recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Chicken Noodle Casserole
Ann King, Anderson, SC

1 lb pkg wide egg noodles
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breasts (about 3-4 boneless, skinless breasts)
1 - 8oz container sour cream
1 - can cream of mushroom soup
1 - can cream of chicken soup
6-8 slices white bread, cubed
2/3 stick butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook noodles according to package directions. (I like to reserve broth from chicken to cook noodles in--adds extra flavor.) Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine sour cream and soups. Add chicken and noodles and stir until well combined. Transfer to greased casserole dish ( I think I used a 2 1/2 qt. Corning Ware dish--could also use square casserole).

In a large skillet, melt butter. Turn heat up to medium-high and add bread cubes. Stir and cook until bread browns. Add to top of casserole. Bake for 25 minutes.

Enjoy!
Marie

3 comments:

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..