Friday, September 2, 2011

Memories of Mama

My mother's birthday was this week. If she was living, Dorothy Andrews Cauthen Milner, would be 82 years old. There are so many things I would like to tell you about this woman better known as "Dot." And those things will be forthcoming as I continue writing and sharing through this blog. That is because my love for cooking came from Dot. Sharing recipes and trying new dishes was something we had in common, as well, as our love for a good grocery store. Few things excited us more than to visit one of the large chain grocery stores and ooh and ahh over the sights and smells of the bounty therein.
Everyone has memories of dishes their mothers and grandmothers prepared. That is the stuff comfort food is made of. In my very first post in this blog I told you I would sometimes share food from my childhood that you might not really want to try. Well, today's entry may be one of those. But because my thoughts have been of Mama this week and because this dish is so closely associated with her, I made it this morning for breakfast. As a tribute to her, here it is.

Dot's Creamed Beef
Make a basic white sauce with 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1 cup milk. I always double this for my family so I will have some left over for breakfast the next day. In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk it with the flour until smooth. Gradually add in milk continuing to whisk. Stir constantly over medium to medium high heat until mixture thickens to the consistency of a sauce. Stir in about a fourth of a 15 oz jar of Kraft Cheez Whiz ( 1/2 if doubling recipe). Cheez Whiz was always in our house. It was stirred into cooked macaroni, melted over broccoli, and spread on toast, and much more. Now you should taste this concoction and see if it is cheesy enough for you. It usually isn't for me so I like to add some shredded cheddar cheese. Next, you will add a 2 oz package of thin, sliced smoked beef ( 2 pkg if doubling recipe). There is a brand put out by Carl Buddig Co. and usually stores have their own brand of this sliced beef you will find in the luncheon meat section. Slice the beef into "cubes" before adding to the sauce. Voila! You have creamed beef! Serve it on unbuttered bread toasted on both sides. I like to sprinkle a little black pepper on my slice.


You will either love this or hate it. I don't think there is any in between. My children and my brother love it. Hubby does not. My sister's boys love it. Their wives, not so much. The dish is reminicent of one served by the Army which has an unflattering name that I will not repeat. My Mama's creamed beef does not taste like that. When I take my first bite, I close my eyes and I am back at that well used and battered wooden table with the morning sun streaming in through the window. The only other thing I need is a steaming cup of Maxwell House instant coffee.

Mornin' Mama, I'm having breakfast in your kitchen today.

Happy cooking,
Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..