Friday, October 21, 2011

Nutella Swirl Pound Cake


If you know me well you know that I am a peanut butteraholic. If at home, you will find me camped out at the pantry door with spoon in hand going to town in the peanut butter jar (for all of you who eat my cooking, don't worry--I have my OWN jar!). I will occasionally put a dab on a banana, squirt chocolate syrup over my peanut buttered spoon, or do the same with grape jelly. I just cannot get enough peanut butter!

About a year ago, I sent B to the grocery store and as usual he came home with at least 3 extra items that weren't on the list. One of the "extras" was a jar of Nutella. I had seen it at the store and knew people who ate it but didn't take a interest due to my peanut butter freakishness. Well, for dessert this particular night, B asks if he could have one of "my" bananas. (I eat a banana every morning and when without it, it gets ugly. In fact, I am out this morning and WW III is about to go down in Montclair!) After I agreed, he proceeded to open the new jar of Nutella and put spoonfuls of it over each bite of banana just as I do with peanut butter. I am standing back thinking, "Oh no he didn't". Then after 2 or 3 bites, he says "Babe, this is amazing; you've gotta try it." So I did and now, admittedly, I am a Nutellaholic. End of story...

Here's a recipe that I have made twice. It's a combination of two of my most favorite things--Nutella and pound cake. Fortunately, I took the pictures on the first batch because the second round under-cooked and was less attractive, yet still delicious nonetheless. Try this scrumptious dessert and I promise you won't have regrets. Enjoy!

"I'm smiling 'cause I'm so good!"

Nutella Swirl Pound Cake
From Easy Desserts, Vol. 45

4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 jar (13 ounces) Nutella

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan and dust with flour (The first cake I made turned out best in a porcelain dish vs. metal.).

Combine the eggs and vanilla in a glass measuring cup and lightly beat. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.

Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down sides as necessary.

With the mixer on medium-low speed, pour the egg mixture into the bowl in a slow stream, stopping the mixer once or twice to scrape down sides.

Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. After the last addition, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.

Scrape 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Spread 1/2 of the Nutella over the batter and smooth with a clean spatula. Scrape another 1/3 of batter over the Nutella and smooth. Scrape the remaining Nutella over the batter and smooth. Spread the remaining batter over the Nutella and smooth. Run a butter knife blade through the batter to create marbling. Do not overmix.

Bake the cake until it's golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let the cake cook in the pan for 15 minutes, invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up on rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.



Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Enjoy (and be prepared to become a Nutella freak like me!),
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..