Monday, October 17, 2011

Two Grown ChildMen and Slow Cooker Italian Chicken


I have no picture of this dish, which kind of makes me sad but pretty much sums up my weekend. It was a busy one. B and I had company--my brother and uncle. They live with my parents full-time and are unable to drive and prepare meals for themselves; they need reminders of what to wear and to change into clean clothes. My uncle talks too much and follows B around the house, even to the bathroom. My brother barely speaks but makes up for the lack of verbal communication by "sniffing" his nose a thousand times a day. As my uncle commented on Saturday, after I suppose he had heard enough of the sniffing himself, "J, you're gonna blow your brains out!" It was funny; we all laughed. They are sweet men, though, and I wouldn't trade them for anyone or anything. They are a blessing in many ways and we love them. But the extra attention they require can be a little exhausting. So, being the sweet child and child-in-law that we are, B and I agreed to "look after" them this weekend so my parents could catch a break and escape to North GA for the weekend. Now that my brother and uncle have gone back home, all I can say is "bless my parents' hearts." I now know (to an extent) what they deal with Sunday through Saturday, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. God has a special place for them in heaven; I am certain he does.

Back to the recipe...again, there's not a picture and I apologize. But you have to try this. It's super easy and was just what I needed on Friday--a few ingredients that were thrown into the crock pot and cooked all day without my attention. All I added were the sides. I am not sure where the recipe came from. I want to think that my Aunt "Skeeter" gave it to mom and I several years ago. I think you'll find that this will be one of those "go-to" recipes when you're either in a hurry or having company. Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
Serves 6-8
1/2 stick butter
1- .7 oz package Italian salad mix (dry)
2 cans golden mushroom soup
1 - 8 oz. container/tub cream cheese with chives and onions
1 cup dry white wine (sometimes I substitute with 1/2 c. white wine & 1/2 c. chicken broth)
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Place raw chicken breasts in crock pot (it's okay if they overlap). Next, in a saucepan, melt butter. Add dressing mix. Stir in soup and cream cheese and wine. Stir constantly until cream cheese is melted.  Pour mixture over chicken breasts. Cover and cook on Low setting for 4-6 hours. Serve on angel hair or fettuccine pasta.

Enjoy friends,
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..