Friday, August 26, 2011

Mama's Best-Ever Baked Beans


"I'll tell the family's secret recipe!"
I promise I am not telling a lie when I say that my mama's baked beans recipe is the best you'll ever put in your mouth. If you don't believe me, ask B; he won't waste a minute to second that notion. It's super easy, too. I find myself making it time and time again, especially during the summer months to take to a cookout or when we get a craving for hot dogs (which isn't too seldom). The fact of the matter is baked beans can be made a hundred different ways but with this recipe you'll have a delicious side dish prepared in no time that will leave everyone fat, full, and happy, and requesting the recipe. Duke may not tell his family's secret recipe but we aren't selfish people. So, in the words of Duke:  "Roll that beautiful bean footage."

Nan's Baked Beans
Ingredients:
2 (28 oz) cans of Bush's Best Original Baked Beans (or adjust can size to number of servings needed)
bacon, uncooked
1/2 Vidalia onion, cut into thin strips
ketchup
mustard
brown sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x13" casserole dish. Drain most of the juice from the beans and remove pieces of fat. Pour one can of beans into casserole dish and spread evenly. Squirt mustard and ketchup over beans (there's no measurements so I just make circles or loops covering the beans). Use a spatula or back of a spoon to spread/combine mustard and ketchup evenly. Add slices of onions.



Next, get a hand full of brown sugar and crumble with fingers over onions. Again, there's no measurement but if I had to guess how much I used I would say 1/3 cup or a little more. I like them sweet! Now it's time add the next can of beans. Pour contents of can #2 over onions. Repeat mustard and ketchup steps--don't forget to smooth out loops, or circles, or whatever you're calling them with a spatula or back of a spoon. No onions for this layer but do sprinkle with more brown sugar. Lay bacon slices on top.


Place in preheated oven and cook for approximately 45 minutes, or when beans are hot and bubbly.

Enjoy!
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..