Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Dish a Day: Eloise Parker's Cranberry Salad

It may be a ladies luncheon, a Sunday-after-church dinner, or a special celebration/holiday meal. Whatever the occasion, no self-respecting Southern hostess calls her family and friends to the table without a congealed salad on the menu. Few things are more quintessentially Southern than a "Jello salad." They can be any of a thousand different flavors and colors and be molded into any shape.
I love congealed salads. I EXPECT to have a congealed salad and feel oddly unsatisfied if one is not offered.

In honor of the upcoming holiday, today's salad offering is, tah dah! cranberry, of course. You may all ready be planning to have something cranberry. Who cares? I, the person who could eat an entire can of cranberry sauce by myself, does not care. Other flavors are going on here, so relax and enjoy them.

This recipe is Eloise Parker's, better known to us as "Miss Weezie." She and her husband, Papa Jim, were best friends of my in-laws.  Our families had many good times together around the table sharing great food. She gave me many recipes I have used over and again. I remember an occassion when she served this particular salad along with a very good chicken casserole. It was a dinner party given 36 years ago in honor of myself and hubby shortly before we married. I don't remember who was there but I remember what we ate!

Eloise Parker's Cranberry Salad
6 oz (or 2 , 3oz boxes) any red Jello (strawberry, cherry, or raspberry)
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/2 can whole cranberry sauce
1 large can crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped pecans
 Dissolve Jello in 2 cups boiling water. Place one tablespoon water in a small bowl and sprinkle unflavored gelatin over it to soften the gelatin then add it to the Jello. Add water to reserved pineapple juice to make 1 & 1/2 cups. Mix into Jello mixture and pour into desired dish or mold.

Topping: Mix together: 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 & 1/2 tablespoonfuls honey, and poppy seeds to taste. Spoon over salad servings.

Nan's notes: I didn't know what I would do with half a can of cranberry sauce except eat it so I used the whole can in the salad with no effect on the finished product. For this entry I used strawberry Jello because that is what I all ready had.

Happy cooking!
Nan

2 comments:

  1. Nan and Marie,
    My mom shared your link with me. Reading both of your posts about Miss Sallie made me smile. They were both such wonderful tributes to a wonderful lady. Then I was so excited to stumble upon your post of one of my Nana's recipes, another smile. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading our blog! Granny and Mrs. Eloise were great friends and two very special ladies. Hope you and your family had great Thanksgiving!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..