Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Dish a Day: Macaroni and Cheese

I have no doubt whatsoever that macaroni and cheese is a dish that will appear on many tables Thanksgiving Day. I grew up eating mac and cheese prepared on top of the stove. Not the boxed kind...that was never allowed in the house. My mother-in-law's macaroni and cheese is baked and, since that is the way hubby likes it, it is the one I prepare today. Imagine my pleasure, when as a young bride and cook, hubby declared my macaroni and cheese as good as his mother's!

I, also, have no doubt that everyone has their own favorite mac and cheese dish. But try a different way sometime and you just might be surprised!



Macaroni and Cheese
1 & 1/2 cup elbow macaroni
at least 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I add a little more..you can't have too much cheese!)
1/4 cup butter, sliced into pats
3 eggs
2 cups evaporated milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika for top (optional)
Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, grate cheese. Beat eggs with fork and mix with milk. Drain macaroni. Spray 8x8x2 casserole dish with cooking spray. Place 1/2 of macaroni in dish and sprinkle half of cheese over it. repeat layers once more. Pour egg and milk mixture and sprinkle with paprika if desired. Dot Top with pats of butter. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
Happy Cooking!
Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..