Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Dish a Day: Sallie's Sweet Potato Casserole

Today is not just Thanksgiving Day. It is also the 83rd birthday of Sallie Pearl Bradham Gunn, my mother-in-law.

Over 36 years ago, when my in-laws were still "future" ones, I was served this sweet potato casserole during a visit to their home. Of course, I had eaten sweet potatoes in some shape or fashion many times before. But Sallie's dish surpassed them all. Breaking through the crunchy brown sugar and pecan crust to the sweet creamy filling beneath, I couldn't decide if it was a side dish or dessert. One thing I was sure of. I was in love and where I was meant to be!

The recipe was the first of many Sallie passed along to me. It ranks as the number one Gunn family favorite. As far as we are concerned, there is no need to make any other sweet potato casserole.
As good as this dish is, this post today is meant to honor Sallie. She has been and is, in every sense of the word, the "perfect" mother-in-law. Never interfering, never judgmental, she gave her opinion only when asked. If I ever disappointed her, she never let on. Rather, she taught me by quiet example how to be a wife, mother, and, now, a mother-in-law.

Sallie and I have shared so much more than recipes. We have worked together in the family business, taken trips, cooked, shopped, laughed, cried, cleaned, and raised children. There was NEVER, EVER a time I called upon her that she was not there for me.

Not one but two dreaded and cursed diseases are stealing Sallie from us. One, she has a fighting chance against and, from the doctor's report, she is making good progress. The other, only divine intervention can save her from. But what the thieves cannot take away is her sweet spirit, her smile, and her enduring love for her family. Were she able to express it, I am sure Sallie would say that her faith and trust is in the One who holds her tomorrow and her hand. She is neither anxious nor afraid. We, her family, cannot help but be thankful for that.

Today, wherever you are and whatever table you pull your chair up to, savor the sweetness of time shared with loved ones, the bounty of your blessings, and give thanks for all things.
Happy birthday, Sallie! I love you.



Sallie's Sweet Potato Casserole
3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes (please do not use canned sweet potatoes)
1 small can eveporated milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1 stick melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix all together and pour into casserole dish (the size I use is 8x12. You can use a 9x13 and decrease cooking time some) Sprinkle topping evenly over all. Bake at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on size of dish used, until center is set.
Topping:  1 cup light brown sugar
                 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
                 1/2 stick butter, softened
                 1 cup chopped pecans
Mix first three ingredients together with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in nuts and sprinkle evenly over sweet potato mixture.
  
Happy cooking!
Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..