Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Dish a Day: Sweet Potato Casserole in Honor of Granny

Today is my Granny's 83rd birthday. She won't remember that it's her birthday, in fact, she won't know that it's Thanksgiving, either. Granny has Alzheimer's disease that has eaten away her cognition and as if that is not enough, she has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. It's sad but thinking of all the wonderful memories I've made with her during my 27 years on earth lifts my spirits and makes me smile. This year and always I am thankful God blessed me with the most caring, pleasant, and virtuous grandmother. Granny is the epitome of selflessness, always putting others ahead of herself. I could write a book about all of the wonderful things Granny has taught me, the memories we made, the delicious food she prepared, and how she was a best friend to my special needs brother. One of my favorite memories is her repeating "Ludowici" a hundred and one times just to make my brother laugh out loud each time. I could go on and on about how special and wonderful she is but there isn't enough time in the day or space to write. To know Granny is to love her.

Granddaddy, me, Brandon, and Granny at our engagement party in 2008. A beautiful picture of Granny.
Granny was a wonderful cook and was always busy entertaining. She and my granddaddy have many friends who get together and socialize more than most couples my age. Since Granny is now unable to cook, plan a menu, set a table, etc. my sweet granddaddy has taken over. Even though Granny has long left work in the kitchen, Mama and I are still preparing lots of her best recipes. As we were preparing for the last post for "A Dish a Day", we could not think of a more appropriate way to honor Granny than by sharing her famous Sweet Potato Casserole. And do you want to know how I know my Granny loves me? I'll tell you anyway! Knowing how I don't particularly care for pecans, she would exclude the nuts from the brown sugar topping on 1/4 of the casserole. That section was just for me and I ate every bit of it. I felt loved.

Thank you, Granny, for being a Proverbs 31 woman. Happy Birthday and know that I love you now and always.

Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..