Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Dish A Day: Something Green

I remember when I was first learning how to cook. I was in college and would call Mama to tell her what I was preparing in hopes that I would get her stamp of approval with a "mmm, that's sounds good". At first, my meals usually consisted of a meat and four or five starches (macaroni and cheese, creamed corn, mashed potatoes, rice, bread). I don't think I understood what a well-rounded meal looked like. Mama would be quick to add, "You need something green." Ever since then, I am constantly assessing my menus to make sure that I include a green of some sort.

Here is a recipe from Momwaw, Brandon's grandmother, for broccoli casserole. This casserole is quick, easy, and delicious.


Momaw's Broccoli Casserole
Ann King, Anderson, South Carolina

2 (10 oz) packages frozen, chopped broccoli
1 onion, chopped
1/2 stick butter/margarine
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used a little more. My motto is "The cheesier the better!")
1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers (I added more, about 3/4 sleeve per B's request.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook broccoli according to package directions. Drain well and set aside. Melt butter in skillet and saute chopped onion until tender and opaque in color.

In a large bowl, stir together broccoli, sauteed onion, soup, and cheese. Transfer to a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Crumble crackers in your hands and sprinkle evenly over broccoli mix. I like to mist crackers with spray butter.

Place casserole into preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Happy Cooking,

Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..