Thursday, August 25, 2011

Anniversary Tomato Pie

Wondering what to do with some of those home grown tomatoes you have on hand? I want to share a recipe for tomato pie I made last week and it was so good I made it again for church supper last night.

I've told you that my sister, Marcelle, was visiting last week. Before she came, I asked her to bring some recipes she had tried and some new ones we could cook while she was here. She brought them in a manilla envelope. When I pulled them out, my eyes fell on a page with a picture of a beautiful tomato pie on it. I looked closer. My eyes got large and a gasp escaped from my mouth. It was a page torn from the August issue of Southern Living magazine! Did you understand what I just said? Marcelle had TORN a page from the sainted Southern Living magazine! I could not believe it! I NEVER tear my magazines...it borders on sacrilege. Law, I was sure lightening was going to strike but it didn't, thank goodness.




This is what you need for the crust which you should make several hours ahead of time. It needs to chill in the fridge for 1 to 24 hours. The colder it is the easier it wil be to roll out and transfer to the pie plate.



I have to tell you about this bowl. It is one of a set of four Pyrex mixing bowls given to me by a co-worker as a wedding present. I have used them almost every day of my married life and I am almost afraid to talk about them for fear they will get broken...which will also break my heart. I'm sorry, I'm sentimental that way. Jane Revell, wherever you are, girl, I think of you everytime I mix something up in those bowls.


 
Mix the dry ingredients together then cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles little "peas."

After adding sour cream, form the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate from 1 to 24 hours.


Sometime later, when you are ready to get serious about finishing the pie, peel 4 medium tomatoes, slice them about 1/2 inch thick, and lay out on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let stand 30 minutes.



Okay,  I rolled the dough to a 13 inch circle on a well floured surface and I do mean well floured because the dough is tender and sticky and doesn't handle easily. I managed to get it in the pie plate and crimped up all pretty. And, yes, I know my rolling pin is missing a handle. It belonged to my grandmother, Nannie, and it works quite well with only one "arm." Well, I did say I am sentimental didn't I?



While the crust bakes for 10 to 12 minutes, pat the tomatoes dry with a paper towel. Remove crust from the oven and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the bottom then layer on those beautiful tomato slices.



Put the topping on and spread to the edges of the crust. She's ready for the oven!



My oh my, isn't she lovely? Marcelle and I think this crust would make a great chicken pie, too.
Let me know what you think.


Tomato Pie
  from Southern Living Magazine, August 2011
4 medium tomatoes, peeled and slice into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil ( or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided

Place tomato slices in a single layer on paper towels, sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, bake crust at 350F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese over the bottom of crust. Pat tomato slices dry with paper towels and layer in the crust. Combine mayonnaise, green onions, basil, and remaining cheese. Spread over tomatoes. Bake at 350F 34 to 37 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

Sour Cream Pastry

1 & 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sour cream

Stir together first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Add sour cream; stir with a fork until combined. Gently gather dough into a flat disc; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 to 24 hours

So, why did I title the post "Anniversary Tomato Pie?' Because yesterday, August 24th, was mine and David's 36th wedding anniversary. He has blessed my life in too many ways to name here. Thankfully, he is not a picky eater. He has enjoyed my successes in the kitchen and endured my failures without complaint. Happy anniversary, baby, and you're still the one.

Happy cooking!
Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..