Sunday, August 14, 2011

Candy Bar Sticky Buns

Have you ever baked something that, no matter how hard you didn't want to or how hard you tried, you just couldn't resist taking a bite when it came out of the oven? Unfortunately, it happens to me all  the time--my list is too long. But if I had to choose the #1 most tempting out-of-the-oven treat, it would be these sticky buns. They are simply irresistible.

The original recipe came from a lady in Wadley, Mrs. Audrey Tarver. Mama received it first then passed along to me. It has been one that I've had for a while storing in my recipe tin but it wasn't until recently that I made up my mind I was going to give it a try. I had been ignoring it because reading just the short list of ingredients made my mouth water and I knew I would be hooked. And I was right...I was. Please note that the original recipe called for Snickers (original name is "Snicker Buns"). I have also made these with Milky Ways (my all-time favorite candy bar). Both were delicious. The Snickers provided the bun with a little crunch from the peanuts. The Milky Way version was creamier, lacking nuts, but if desired, you could sprinkle pecans on top of the icing or in the center. The fun part about these sticky buns is that you can play around with them substituting your favorite candy bar and topping the icing with whatever tickles your fancy.

The pictures below show the mini version. I made them for my sweet friend Molly's baby shower brunch. I thought the minis would be more ideal for ladies--small, hand-held and less rich. I used fun-sized Snickers because that's what I already but I cut them in half. Next time I will use the bite-size candy bars for the miniatures.

Enjoy but beware:  temptation may conquer.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt 1/2 stick of butter or margarine in a bowl. Set aside.

Begin making buns with a can of crescent roll dough. Separate triangles of dough. If making minis, cut each triangle in half. Unwrap 8 fun-sized candy bars for regular buns or 16 bite-size candy bars for minis. Place candy bar at top of your triangle and roll the dough as you would if making crescents.











Seal edges and mold in your hand to form a ball. You want to make sure that edges are sealed completely or the chocolate will seep out during baking, creating a messier bun.











Roll each ball of dough in melted butter and place in either 8-count or 16-count mini-muffin tin.


Place in oven and bake 10 minutes. Make glaze (see below). You will cover buns with glaze while they're hot.

For the glaze: 
1/2 cup powder sugar
1 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp almond extract
Combine and stir until smooth. Pour over hot buns.




Candy Bar Sticky Buns
Serving size:  8 regular buns or 16 minis

8 fun size candy bars of your choice (recommend Snickers or Milky Way)
1 can crescent roll dough
½ stick butter or margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Unroll and separate triangles of dough. Wrap one candy bar in each triangle. Form ball of dough around candy bar and seal edges completely. Roll in melted butter and place in muffin pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cover with glaze while hot (see glaze instructions below).

Glaze:
½ cup powder sugar
1 Tbsp milk
¼ tsp almond extract
Combine ingredients and stir until smooth. Pour over hot buns.

*For mini sticky buns:  Use 16 bite-size candy bars and cut each triangle of crescent roll dough in half. Follow instructions as above and place dough in mini muffin pan.



2 comments:

  1. You made these for our baby shower and they are so good! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look heavenly... I will probably be trying these soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..