Saturday, August 20, 2011

Glenda's Pound Cake

I have had such a great week! My sister, Marcelle, is visiting and we've had so much fun talking, laughing, and cooking together. Marie took some time off from her work so she could be with us which made it all the more fun to be together. I am so thankful for these two very special ladies!

Tuesday was Marcelle's birthday. I won't tell you how many years she celebrated because she would kill me!
Anyway, we asked her what her favorite cake is and, without giving it any thought, she said Glenda's pound cake. I'm sure she has told me who Glenda is and how she got the recipe but I have forgotten. What is memorable is this cake...so moist and delicious. Well, that was all the excuse I needed to get out the old tube pan, some butter, eggs, sugar, etc. and whip up a cake which we promptly cut and ate while it was still warm. Awesome!!!!!!!!!

So here we go.....


This is all the stuff you will need. I like to get the ingredients together or else I will leave something out.


I love my mixer! My husband gave it to me and every now and then when I am using it he will say, "I did good, didn't I?'' And I will answer, "You did VERY good!"


I, also, love this tube pan. It belonged to my mother, Dot, and is precious for that reason alone. I think I "borrowed" it from her and "forgot" to return it. I have looked for one to give Marie but cannot find one that is the quality this one is. So, no, you can't have it! It is part of Marie's inheritance.


Sift the flour, friends. It gets the lumps out. Do it before you measure unless the recipe states otherwise.


This is what a properly greased and floured tube pan looks like. I like to wrap a piece of paper towel around my fingers, dip them in some Crisco and rub the inside and tube until there is a thin coating. Then I sprinkle flour all around the tube portion then swirl to coat sides. Shake out excess flour, give the pan a good tap to remove any remaining loose flour. Now, I'm not saying my way is the only way but it's the one that works best for me.


Cream the butter, Crisco, and sugar together real good 'til it's fluffy.


Add the eggs one at a time blending after each one. I crack the eggs in a small custard cup before adding because I have had to stop and fish out egg shells too many times. If you are one of those people who can crack the egg on the edge of the bowl and add in without shells then go for it.


Okay, at this point, I have all of the ingredients in and the batter is in the pan. I tap the pan on the countertop a couple of times to release air bubbles and swirl it to even the batter out. "They" say baking is a science, meaning the ingredients should be added in a specific order. I always try to follow the recipe but this I know...when putting in the dry and liquid ingredients always begin and end with the dry. So I will start with a third of the flour, then add half of the liquid, then the next third of flour, and so forth, ending with the last third of the flour.  Ready for our friend, the oven.


What a beautiful sight! I wish you could scratch and sniff. Cool in pan 10-15 minutes then turn onto plate.


With a bamboo skewer, poke holes in the top of the cake.


Pour topping over cake saving some to brush on sides of cake with a pastry brush or rubber spatula.
This topping penetrates the cake and makes it so moist! Now sit back and wait for the compliments!


Glenda's Pound Cake

2 sticks butter ( I ALWAYS use salted butter...never been a problem)
1/2 cup Crisco
3 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon rum flavoring
1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
3 cups of sifted all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup whole milk

Cream butter, Crisco, and sugar with electric mixer until creamy and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, blending after each egg. Add flavorings, salt, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, add flour and milk beginning and ending with flour. Stop mixer to scrape down sides of bowl and continue until flour in incorporated. Pour into greased and floured 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 325 F
for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove cake from oven and test for doneness with skewer or cake tester.
Let cake cool in pan for 10-15 minutes. Invert cake onto plate and turn back over onto another plate so cake is right side up. Poke holes in top of cake and pour on topping.

Topping:

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon almond flavoring

Comine sugar and water and bring to a boil. Simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add almond flavoring. Pour over top of cake and brush sides of cake as described above.


Happy Cooking!
Nan









No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment below..